Cook time – 40 minutes
Prep time – 30 min
1 acorn squash
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup sugar
2 oz toasted walnuts
2 oz pomegranate seeds
2 oz crumbled goat cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a large baking tray with parchment paper.
- Wash squash and cut off the top and bottom ends. Cut in half lengthwise and remove the seeds. Following the natural grooves in the squash, slice into eight wedges. Place in a large mixing bowl and set aside.
- Melt butter in medium sauce pot. When almost melted, add the brown sugar and whisk vigorously until emulsified into a caramel. Do not boil.
- Toss the acorn squash with the caramel mixture. Place wedges onto the lined baking tray, skin side down. Sprinkle with salt.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 40 minutes, rotate the tray after 20 minutes for even cooking.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool until serving.
- While squash is baking, peel, halve, and remove seeds from pears. Place pears in medium sauce pot with the water and sugar. Simmer uncovered on very low for 20 minutes, stirring to prevent scorching.
- Blend pear mixture with a hand blender or food processor. Pass through a fine strainer and chill until ready to use.
This dish is beautiful when plated individually or served family style. Serve squash warm with cool pear butter and garnishes.
For individual servings, drizzle pear butter on the plate, then add two squash wedges. Drizzle with more pear butter and top with garnishes.
For family style, serve pear butter and garnishes separately so friends and family can experiment with the different flavors.
Share your pictures on Instagram #ccnRecipes