Bake time – 20 minutes
Prep time – 2.5 hours
1 cup sugar
½ cup water
½ cup heavy cream
1 teaspoon salt
- Add sugar, butter, and water to a small saucepan and simmer over medium heat about 12-15 minutes until mixture is thick, syrupy, and dark brown (below). Do not over stir or it will crystalize.
- Once sugar has reached desired color, turn off heat and add the cream and salt and whisk vigorously to combine. Use caution: the cream may splatter when added to the hot sugar mixture.
- Strain through a fine-mesh sieve and divide: ¾ cup for pudding and ¼ cup for topping.
4 cups sour dough bread cubes (one-inch dice)
2 Pink Lady apples (half-inch dice)
2 cups heavy cream
2 cups half and half
¾ cup sugar
1 tablespoons vanilla extract
1 cup dried cranberries
¾ cup caramel
- Combine diced bread and apples in a large bowl, set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, combine cream, half and half, sugar, vanilla, and dried cranberries. Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Whisk in ¾ cup caramel. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature.
- Whisk in the eggs until thoroughly combined.
- Pour custard mixture over bread and apples. Mix well, cover, and place in refrigerator at least 1 hour to allow bread to absorb egg mixture.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare two 12-muffin baking pans (coat with non-stick spray or use paper liners). Stir bread and custard mixture gently, then fill each muffin cup about ¾ full.
- Place both pans in oven and bake for about 20 – 30 minutes; rotate pans half way through baking time for even baking. Bread pudding is done when a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin is removed clean.
- Let rest for about 20 minutes, then remove muffins from pans.
Reheat reserved caramel and drizzle over muffins. Serve with ice cream.
Share your pictures on Instagram #ccnRecipes